People are forever asking how I manage everything with such a busy schedule. I love to cook, but I don’t always have time to do so in the manner I would like. This weekly journal is a way to keep it real and show that while my intentions are good, sometimes life and all of its activities get in the way of serving a delicious, home-cooked meal and that it is perfectly okay.
- Saturday: Today’s miserable weather and day-long competition meant no one was in the mood to go back out to get groceries or dinner. Instead, we ordered pizza, piled on the couch, and ate our fill of cheesy goodness while binge-watching episodes of Psych. It was wonderful.
- Sunday: Another crappy day for weather as we got hit with several inches of snow overnight with it continuing to fall all day long. Holly had rehearsals today, so we had to go out. I made sure to pick up groceries and all of the fixings for tacos for dinner tonight – black beans for the girl and a ground beef/ground turkey combination for the rest of us. After a few weeks of more elaborate meals, it was nice to have something basic and yet delicious.
- Monday: More snow and freezing temperatures meant yet another night of comfort food. Tonight’s choice was kielbasa with sauerkraut and mashed potatoes. When the weather is horrible, there is nothing quite like mashed potatoes to make everything better. (Holly had leftover black bean tacos from last night since she has decided that she no longer likes mashed potatoes. She is a weird child sometimes.)
- Tuesday: It is keep-it-simple week basically because I am mentally, emotionally, and physically exhausted and don’t want to worry about elaborate dinners. Tonight’s simple meal was nothing but jarred spaghetti sauce with pasta, frozen meatballs, frozen garlic bread, and bagged Caesar salad. Yes, processed foods are not ideal but the convenience makes them worth it.
- Wednesday: In an attempt to change things up a bit, I tried making butter chicken (and butter tofu for Holly). While it was fine and Jim really enjoyed it, I realized that I am just not an Indian food fan no matter how many times I try to convince myself otherwise. I am going to stick with my Italian and Mexican food favorites from now on.
- Thursday: Leftovers night – I think that is the new name for Thursday, which is fine by me.
- Friday: Dance weekends mean Holly and I had our dinner on the road while Jim was left to fend for himself.
What was for dinner at your house this week?