People are forever asking how I manage everything with such a busy schedule. I love to cook, but I don’t always have time to do so in the manner I would like. This weekly journal is a way to keep it real and show that while my intentions are good, sometimes life and all of its activities get in the way of serving a delicious, home-cooked meal and that it is perfectly okay.
- Saturday: We were all way too tired to go anywhere after the Liberty Bowl, so we stayed at the hotel and ate a fantastic Italian meal there just in time for the Badgers to win in the Orange Bowl.
- Sunday: After a long day in the car, we made it home around 6:30 PM in time to go to the store and grab some frozen pizzas. Nothing sexy but we were home and ready to relax.
- Monday: New Year’s Day was an odd one. A late breakfast followed by some snacking made people not very interested in eating dinner. Jim and I ended up eating chicken nachos, while Connor was too tired to eat and Holly just wasn’t hungry.
- Tuesday: I was planning to make soup for New Year’s Day because it was SO cold outside, but since no one was very hungry we opted not to make it. Instead, we made it for dinner on Tuesday. This Broccoli Cheese Soup is not my favorite version of this soup, but it did help me use up one of the many bags of frozen broccoli in my freezer (I think they are multiplying on their own) as well as some American cheese we used in another recipe but would never use again. Plus, it was still bitterly cold outside, and cheesy soup is always good when the temperatures are below normal.
- Wednesday: It is too cold to go out to the store for groceries so it is eat-out-the-freezer week, or so it seems. Tonight’s scrounging for dinner gave us more frozen pizza and some boneless wings. I guess it could have been worse.
- Thursday: More eating out of the fridge commenced tonight. This time, Connor made kielbasa and rice. Very basic but still good and one less thing crowding my fridge.
- Friday: Yay for groceries! Connor and Jim made a much-needed grocery trip. I came home to work to stuffed pork chops, mashed potatoes, and salad for dinner. Considering it is supposed to be -20F tonight (and that does not include the wind chill), it was the perfect meal to end the week and combat the arctic temperatures.
What was for dinner at your house this week?
I need to get to the grocery store, but it’s so damn cold and we’ve been slammed with ice and snow. I have been avoiding leaving the house. Going to have to do it sometime this week, but thankfully the temps are starting to warm up.
It is so much easier to go out and run errands when you don’t need to read four layers, isn’t it?