People are forever asking how I manage everything with such a busy schedule. I love to cook, but I don’t always have time to do so in the manner I would like. This weekly journal is a way to keep it real and show that while my intentions are good, sometimes life and all of its activities get in the way of serving a delicious, home-cooked meal and that it is perfectly okay.
- Saturday: NFL playoffs means no one is very interested in cooking. In keeping with the football thing, we opted for a few dips as dinner and left it at that.
- Sunday: Holly and Jim made a family favorite – White Cheddar Truffled Macaroni and Cheese with Mushrooms. I could eat this every week, and it is so easy to make. Plus, vegetarian so Holly gets to eat it with us.
- Monday: It was a leftover kind of night because when you have them, why make something new?
- Tuesday: Sometimes, simple meals are the best. Tonight, Jim went with baked breaded fish that he was able to get crispy like fish sticks. So not glamorous but still good.
- Wednesday: Jim was at an interview today, so it was just me for dinner. Rather than do anything elaborate, I went with my old standby meal of an omelet. Fast and easy with minimal mess. When you are making a meal for one person, you can’t beat it.
- Thursday: In lieu of actually going shopping again, we thawed the leftover turkey from Thanksgiving and made turkey tetrazzini. Another dish of which I never get tired.
- Friday: I am getting so spoiled with Jim home. Today, Holly and I came home after dance practice to shrimp scampi over pasta, Caesar salad, and homemade Nutella mousse. I know he needs to work because staying home causes him to go stir-crazy, but I am really going to miss my housekeeper when he finally gets a job.
What was for dinner at your house this week?
You reminded me that I have a ham in the freezer.
It’s production week but tonight we are off so the other cast can do their run thru. I am having tacos and will probably make a veggie burger for the girl. I am so excited about being off tonight because tomorrow is our run thru and we will be there from 6-10:30 or 11 and then I have to get up at 4am for work. Blech.
Get that ham, girl, and save yourself some time!
So nice to come home to dinner!! I love making eggs for myself. Just had eggs for lunch today.
Easy and tasty and versatile, you really can’t beat eggs for a one-person meal.
Mac and cheese was one of my go-to’s when I had vegetarians in the house; everyone likes it and I often made two batches and through some ham in one. Hurrah for leftovers but even big hurrahs for someone being at home to make delicious meals. How lucky you are that Jim can and will do it while he’s still home!
I know! I am so spoiled, and it is going to be a rude awakening when he goes back to work!