People are forever asking how I manage everything with such a busy schedule. I love to cook, but I don’t always have time to do so in the manner I would like. This weekly journal is a way to keep it real and show that while my intentions are good, sometimes life and all of its activities get in the way of serving a delicious, home-cooked meal and that it is perfectly okay.
- Saturday: Some late afternoon shopping with the whole family had us eating at our second-favorite Mexican restaurant in town for dinner. That and a thoroughly empty refrigerator.
- Sunday: Our first Sunday family dinner with Connor required a special meal. I made Million Dollar Spaghetti for the boys, while Holly had with pasta and meatless pasta sauce. We followed it up with a round of Scrabble, which is weird because we are not a board game family. Still, it was a wonderful evening.
- Monday: Knowing that we are going to be eating heavier meals this week, I wanted something light tonight. Creamy Chicken and Mushroom Soup was the perfect answer. Lighter but full of flavor, it met all of my requirements. It will be the last time we eat healthy for the week, but at least I made one healthy meal!
- Tuesday: The one meal Connor wanted me to make this week was my macaroni and cheese. He didn’t have to tell me twice!
- Wednesday: The night before a big holiday requires an easy meal. I discovered we can now buy cans of Skyline Chili here is Wisconsin, a Cincinnati staple that my kids desperately miss five years later, so tonight was three-ways to everyone’s rejoicing.
- Thursday: Thanksgiving! We kept it traditional today with a huge turkey, 10 pounds of mashed potatoes, and stuffing. Holly made a cheddar green bean casserole for herself, and we rounded out the meal with an apple blue cheese salad, and homemade bread. Later, we had pecan, apple, and pumpkin pie with ice cream and whipped cream. I may have gone a bit overboard considering it was only the four of us for dinner, but it was all delicious.
- Friday: What else but leftovers? I fear we will be eating leftovers for the next week and will still have to throw out some of them.
What was for dinner at your house this week?