People are forever asking how I manage everything with such a busy schedule. I love to cook, but I don’t always have time to do so in the manner I would like. This weekly journal is a way to keep it real and show that while my intentions are good, sometimes life and all of its activities get in the way of serving a delicious, home-cooked meal and that it is perfectly okay.
- Saturday: We attended our friend’s wedding, so dinner was on her. Pulled pork, different types of salads, fruits, and of course sweets. It wasn’t a heavy meal, which I liked because it meant that nothing was sitting heavily in your stomach for the dancing, but it was definitely delicious.
- Sunday: It has been so cold and gloomy lately that today called for soup. A nice, thick, hearty soup. Instant Pot Creamy Mushroom Wild Rice Soup hit the spot. I paired it with pretzel buns, but I think it would have been much better with a hot loaf of French bread. Still, it was warm and filling and perfect for another dreary and freezing day.
- Monday: I’m in full-on comfort mode right now with this weather, so tonight called for Cheesy Ham and Hash Brown Casserole. After all, what isn’t comforting and warming about cheese and potatoes? Also, I made bread! This is huge as yeast, and I have a love-hate relationship. I found this no-knead recipe that calls for room temperature water and proofing overnight. I wasn’t certain it would work, but did it ever! So simple and easy and now I want to make bread all the time.
- Tuesday: More dreary weather, more need for comfort food, more time to eat up the leftovers. When leftovers are as yummy as the ham and hash brown casserole, I am perfectly okay with eating them.
- Wednesday: Sticking with the theme of comfort food, tonight we opted for Swedish meatballs. I wanted to serve them over mashed potatoes like they do at IKEA, but Jim was cooking and he served them with the more traditional egg noodles. Given the thickness of the gravy, I still think they would have been better over mashed potatoes. Still, I know Jim and I will be fighting over the leftovers for lunch tomorrow!
- Thursday: The end of the week is usually a bit crazier for us schedule-wise. Holly’s dance classes start and end right in the middle of meal prep, so it makes things difficult. Tonight, it went one step further because her dance studio held conferences with the dancers and parents to discuss their progress, areas of focus, long-term goals, etc. Rather than go back and forth after the conference, Jim and I went to dinner at a local tavern. Cheese curds and gyros FTW! Plus, it was trivia night, and even though Jim and I weren’t officially playing, we still rocked it.
- Friday: Connor came home! Unfortunately, because Jim and he got home so late and because Holly’s dance made it impossible for me to cook anything, we ended up getting Noodles for dinner. Actually, he was perfectly okay with this because “I haven’t had Noodles in THREE months!” Ah, if only it were so easy to please the kids like this all the time.
What was for dinner at your house this week?
I bet you are SO happy Connor is home!!
We decided to remodel our kitchen this weekend, so I’m trying to think of something easy and fun to make for dinner tonight. Once I clean it up, I’m going to want to cook in it! But I have limited groceries in my house.
Yep! I am walking around with a smile on my face, and even the kids’ bickering isn’t enough to throw me out of my good mood. I didn’t realize how much I missed him until he was back home again.
Enjoy cooking in your newly remodeled kitchen! It looks beautiful!