In an effort to be a whole lot more organized this year, and because everyone is always posting what delicious food they make, here is what I have been serving my family for the past week. I also envision this being a detailed account of how I fail miserably at meal planning when life gets too busy. But hey, it’s real life. Speaking of real life, I am not and never will be a food blogger. If I ever were to post food pictures for you, I apologize in advance for how awful they are.
- Saturday: Somehow, when I plan meals for the week, I always forget to include Saturdays in my planning, and even though I went grocery shopping today for the week, I did not plan anything for dinner. We somehow always make it work though. As we ate out for breakfast, we kept dinner tonight simple and had either leftover spaghetti from earlier in the week or in my case a sandwich.
- Sunday: After more than a month without cooking for the family, I finally got into the kitchen and made a family favorite – Lemon Risotto. (No, I don’t put it in a fancy lemon cup.) Because we had just hit the farmers’ market and I had fresh asparagus on hand, I threw that into the risotto as well. Healthy and delicious FTW! Jim grilled some chicken breasts marinated in garlic butter to round out the meal for a satisfying and surprisingly refreshing summer family dinner.
- Monday: Tonight was Holly’s first night of summer dance class. I kept it easy tonight with BLTs. Mmmm…bacon.
- Tuesday: Connor was at cross-county practice. Holly was at dance. Jim and I were busy watching my friend’s nine-month old son. I wanted something that would not take a long time to make so I hit upon these Black and Blue Cajun Burgers. I will definitely be making them again.
- Wednesday: No dance tonight, so I was able to put together something a little more complicated. These Baked Beef and Black Bean Tacos came together so quickly and were quite filling. I was even able to make one batch purely vegetarian with ease. No complaints from anyone, and they all went back for seconds. Success!
- Thursday: It’s zucchini season which means I can make one of my favorite dishes without spending a fortune. This Sauteed Zucchini with Oregano and Feta is an old Weight Watchers recipe that never gets tiresome. To make it more of a meal, I add chicken sausage when sauteeing. Tonight, I even added a bit more olive oil and tossed everything with pasta. I love this meal.
- Friday: Holly has been struggling to get over Gretchen’s passing, so tonight I took her on a girl date to try to cheer her up a bit. Her dinner selection of choice was Panera, which is always fine by me. Poor Jim was left with leftovers, and Connor was at work. Ha.
It has been far too long since I have sat down and planned meals for the family, let alone cook for them. I missed it more than I realized.
What was for dinner at your house this week?