In an effort to be a whole lot more organized this year, and because everyone is always posting what delicious food they make, here is what I have been serving my family for the past week. I also envision this being a detailed account of how I fail miserably at meal planning when life gets too busy. But hey, it’s real life.
- SATURDAY – Holly was at a friend’s house for the night and Connor was being his usual angry teenager self, so Jim and I went out to dinner at our favorite local Mexican restaurant. Margaritas, anyone?
- SUNDAY – Perhaps it was the alcohol or the massive amounts of sodium I ingested at dinner on Saturday, but I hit a low point late Saturday night and spent all day Sunday trying to crawl out of it. I should have gone to the grocery store, and I should have actually spent time planning meals for my family. Instead, I made Jim pick up Chinese food and decided to wing it for the rest of the meals this week. I did make sure he bought extra specifically for leftovers for Monday, so I do have that going for me.
- MONDAY – Chinese food leftovers FTW!
- TUESDAY – I plumbed the depths of my fridge for this particular dinner by using up some leftover jarred marinara, penne, and Italian sausage. Easy peasey and tasty even if it wasn’t sexy or sophisticated.
- WEDNESDAY – I was felled by a migraine on this day and was in bed for the night. I suspect the kids had sandwiches or cereal, but I honestly have no idea. Holly did bring me an English muffin topped with cheese once I was able to keep food down.
- THURSDAY – I cooked! Yay me! Tonight’s dinner was Pork Chops O’Brien – cheesy potatoes and pork chops and French fried onions. I ended up using a mixture of pepper jack and cheddar cheese because I didn’t have enough cheddar. The pepper jack definitely gave the meal a bit of a kick which is never a bad thing.
- FRIDAY – This was one of those nights where we were all scattered to the wind. Connor had forensics and pep band and ate on the go. Holly and I had an event at the studio, where we had pizza. Jim was the lone person at home and had leftovers.
In other words, it was just a typical week in the Shannon household. Thankfully, I do have a menu plan for next week and will be hitting the grocery store later today. Now, let’s see if I can stick to it.
What was for dinner at your house this week?