In an effort to be a whole lot more organized this year, and because everyone is always posting what delicious food they make, here is what I have been serving my family for the past week. I also envision this being a detailed account of how I fail miserably at meal planning when life gets too busy. But hey, it’s real life. Speaking of real life, I am not and never will be a food blogger. If I ever were to post food pictures for you, I apologize in advance for how awful they are.
- Sunday: The weather has been so warm lately that I had to take advantage of it by serving burgers off the grill and rounded out with some cut raw veggies. Except for the fact that it is dark at 5 PM and there are no leaves on the trees anymore, it was almost like a chilly summer evening!
- Monday: I am prepared this week. Not only do I have a fully stocked kitchen, I am sticking with some old family favorites that are easy to make and always go over well. Tonight was a very simple dinner of Sauteed Zucchini with Oregano and Feta, minus the feta since I forgot to buy it. Whenever I make this, I always add some chicken sausage, like this one, to add a bit of protein. Tonight, I also added some flavored rice to make the kids happy. It is not one of the kids’ favorites, but it is easy and one of my go-to meals for delicious and filling without making you feel guilty.
- Tuesday: Tuesdays tend to be a quiet day for everyone. Today was no different. I had intentions to cook, but I was vetoed by my entire family. They did not want the fuss and bother. Thankfully, we had a few leftover burgers and some of the sauteed zucchini. I live to make my family happy!
- Wednesday: We meant to cook tonight, but it ended up being yet another night no one wanted a big meal. It was another night of sandwiches and the like. My kids are so great.
- Thursday: I got home so late from work that Jim had already gone out and picked up some KFC for dinner. Not what I would have done, but I was not about to complain.
- Friday: Sheer laziness made this a Panera kind of night. I think we could have done worse.
- Saturday: Our one night where we have no activities in the evenings always calls for a nice dinner. Given the snow on the ground, it called for baked ziti and a nice fresh salad. This is one meal I tend to throw together without following any particular recipe, but I would guess it is as close to this version as you could get. Like most pasta bakes, it is a forgiving recipe and full of potential enhancements. Easy and delicious, baked pasta of any sort is always a family favorite.
What was for dinner at your house this week?