In an effort to be a whole lot more organized this year, and because everyone is always posting what delicious food they make, here is what I have been serving my family for the past week. I also envision this being a detailed account of how I fail miserably at meal planning when life gets too busy. But hey, it’s real life. Speaking of real life, I am not and never will be a food blogger. If I ever were to post food pictures for you, I apologize in advance for how awful they are.
- Sunday: Even with a migraine again this Sunday, I still cooked a nice dinner for my family – Charred Cauliflower Carbonara with Caesar salad and garlic bread. Add to that a glass of a nice, dry red, and it was the perfect way to start the week and end the weekend.
- Monday: I was all set to cook a nice dinner again tonight, but the boys overruled me in their call for leftovers. That was easy enough.
- Tuesday: It was touch-and-go for dinner when I first got home, as the gas company replaced our meter and shut off our gas without letting us know they were doing so. Thankfully, they made it back to the house to turn it back on just as I was getting home from dropping Holly off at dance. Tonight’s dinner was a recommendation from Brandie, Spicy Taco Gnocchi Skillet. It may not look pretty, but what it lacks in aesthetics, it makes up for in flavor. It was the perfect meal to serve when all four of us were eating at a different time. Thanks to Brandie for the recommendation!
- Wednesday: There have been all sorts of weird cooking issues this week. Tonight’s dinner was switched for tomorrow because my ground turkey did not thaw. So, after a collective poll of the family, leftover taco gnocchi skillet it is.
- Thursday: Another night in which I was all prepared to cook, but my family disappeared on me. Holly was at dance, and Connor was at a pep band event. By the time everyone got home, I had made myself a sandwich. Connor made macaroni and cheese for Holly and him. Jim also had a sandwich when he got home later.
- Friday: It is a universal truth I do not cook on Fridays, but no one was willing to go out or even order in. I think Connor made himself oatmeal. Holly made some spaghetti, which I shared. Nothing exciting or sexy but it did the trick.
- Saturday: The kids were all at their friends’, so Jim and I had an impromptu date night and had a wonderful dinner at the cutest restaurant in Beloit. It has been a long time since we have been on a date night, and this was just a fantastic way to round out the week.
What was for dinner at your house this week?
Your meals sound wonderful.
I made way, way too much food for the theater party so we are eating it all this week in different ways. I am already over it since I have also been eating it for lunch but what can you do? I made too much and would fail as a caterer because I cannot for the life of me judge how much to make per person. The kids ate THREE times too. Before trick or treating, after and then again after the outdoor movie and I still had trays of enchiladas and TWO crocks full of shredded chicken. I have tortillas coming out of my ears too. Can you freeze tortillas?
Dang! That is a lot of food. You could definitely freeze the chicken. I’m not certain about tortillas. I’m guessing that you could though.
Oh, and date night sounds wonderful!
Ha! It has been far too long since we’ve dressed up and gone out together without running errands or anything home or kid-related. It was wonderful.
I’m so glad you liked the taco gnocchi!! I definitely plan on making it a monthly repeat, easy and tasty.
I tried a taco pasta similar to the gnocchi yesterday and it was good. Tasted about the same, just with penne instead of gnocchi. It made so many leftovers that I took it to my parents this morning for them to have dinner tonight! Tonight I have bbq pulled pork in the crock pot and added some red peppers to it for something different. Some cheesy hash brown potatoes as a side. Not the healthiest, but I’m looking forward to it because it’s different than our norm. You continue to inspire me every week to try new things!
Cheesy hash browns. Those are one of my favorite side dishes. I need to find a way to get that one into the rotation…