It’s fall!! The most wonderful time of the year – when the leaves turn to beautiful shades of red, orange, and yellow, when the sun loses some of its intensity but the days are still pleasant, when visions of pumpkins and cornstalks and jack-o-lanterns dot the neighborhoods. It also means cool nights in front of a fireplace with hot cups of tea snuggled under blankets while reading. Because fall and reading go hand-in-hand like peanut butter and jelly, Katrina at Callapidder Days is hosting the 2009 Fall Into Reading Challenge from September 22th through December 20th. As she terms it, here are the “rules”:
To participate, here’s what you need to do:
- Create a list of some books you’d like to read or finish this fall. This is the only real requirement for participating in the challenge.
- Feel free to set some additional reading goals (such as reading to your kids two hours per week, getting through your pile of magazines, etc.). However, this is not required; setting additional goals is completely optional.
- Write a blog post that includes the list of books you want to read (and any additional goals you’ve set), and get ready to post it on your blog on September 22nd.
- Visit Callapidder Days on September 22nd to sign up for the challenge. I’ll have an official launch post up that morning, complete with an area for you to submit a link to your personal Fall Into Reading post, where it will be added to the master list of participants.
- Read! Work on your goals throughout Fall 2009.
- Report your results. Write another blog post in December to let everyone know how you did. (I’ll post an official wrap-up to the challenge on December 21st, where you’ll be able to share your results.)
- Have fun! Visit other participants to see what they’re reading. Write reviews if
- you’re so inclined. But most of all, enjoy your fall reading!
This challenge excites me to no end, and I’m going to use it as a chance to get through some books I’ve really wanted to read but have been putting off for whatever reason. Here’s my list so far. I’m not certain if I can get through this many before December 20th, but I’m certainly going to give it the old college try!
- 1. Sweet Mary by Liz Balmaseda
- 2. The Man Who Loved Books Too Much by Allison Hoover Bartlett
- 3. Across the Endless River by Thad Carhart
- 4. Outlander by Diana Gabaldon
- 5. Everything Sucks by Hannah Friedman
- 6. The Missing Ink by Karen E. Olson
- 7. The Imposter’s Daughter by Laurie Sandell
- 8. Playing House by Fredrica Wagman
Are you participating? What are you going to read? Are you as excited for this challenge as I am?
Lola – So many people recommended Outlander to me that I had to pick it up and put it at the top of my TBR pile. I just haven't gotten a chance to reading it, so this is definitely my excuse to finally pick it up!
I've joined this challenge. I've got some Joyce Carol Oates on my list, as well as some classics.
Your list looks good. Outlander is an engrossing read.
Sarbear, isn't it great? It truly captures the essence of fall for me.
I love this challenge avatar — great books to cuddle up with for the fall : )
Ceri – I'm using this challenge as an effort to finish up the other ones! Multipurpose reading at its finest!
Diane – I am really looking forward to it, since I'm using as an excuse to really finish some books that have been staring at me for a few months now.
Have fun with the challenge; i'm joining in the fun as well.
Ooh, this sounds like a good challenge but I'll be opting out because I'm struggling to finish three this Autumn as it is :P.
Best of luck with yours though. 😀