Sunday Reflections – 11 November 2018

Sunday Reflections Button

Happy Sunday!

It is another gorgeous fall day around here. We had our first snowfall on Thursday, and there is still covered ground in the shadier parts of the yard. Waking up that morning to the yard blanketed with snow reminded me of how much I love this season. Every day, there is a new beauty to find, and every breath of air that stings your nose and cools your lungs reminds you of the wonder of being alive. It is a feeling I never get in summer.

Has anyone else noticed that people seem to be confused about last week’s time change? I know I should not let it bother me, but I keep seeing people lament Daylight Savings Time. Uh. No. Daylight Savings Time is the arbitrary time change the government put in place to maximize the amount of daylight farmers had to work back when there were no tractors let alone tractors with headlights. It is what happens when we move the clocks ahead an hour each Spring. Last weekend, we went back to Standard Time. It is the correct time with no government interference. I personally love Standard Time and detest Daylight Savings Time. However, I know I am in the minority, so if you are going to complain about the time change, at least use the correct terminology when lamenting the dark evenings.

I don’t know about you, but the election on Tuesday filled me with hope. Granted, I was petrified of the results all day on Tuesday, barely holding back a full-blown anxiety attack throughout the day. However, as I started seeing the results, I felt like I could take a deep breath for the first time in two years. I feel like we were given a short respite from planning, preparing, and most importantly, rest. I know that feeling will not last long. Cheeto Hitler is going to be worse than ever with a split Congress, doubling down on threats and finding new ways to abuse the office’s power. It is a movement in the right direction though, and now we have two more years to gather our forces and unite against the increasing fascism in the White House.

October was a good reading month for me – a pleasant surprise with the state of restlessness I was in for most of the month. With 15 books and 5,585 pages under my belt, I made more headway than I thought into my backlog. Trust me when I say this is not the case so far in November.

Holly and I had a good day yesterday shopping and having lunch together, but she has dance today so no fun things for us. The plan for the rest of the day is to rest and relax. Next weekend will be busy with Thanksgiving prep. We are hosting Jim’s sister and her family, so the house needs a good cleaning, and I want to prep as much of the food in advance as I can. Work is going to be crazy for the remainder of the year as I have not yet started the budget process, and there are significant changes which, rumor has, are going into effect by the end of the month. Jim is on a business trip this week, so I am on single parent dance duty for the week. Plus, Connor should be coming home next weekend, so I have to prepare his room for him. With all of that to do in the next week, I am taking one day to do nothing. Other than laundry that is. That is a chore that only gets worse when ignored, so I try not to ignore it.

Make sure you thank a veteran today. As a former Army wife, I can testify that the sacrifice the soldiers make, and the sacrifices their families must make, are easier when recognized and appreciated.

Have a great Sunday, and I will see you back here next week!

**********

Here are past posts from the last few weeks in case you missed them the first time:

10 Responses to Sunday Reflections – 11 November 2018
    November 12, 2018 | 7:32 AM

It bothers me when people don’t use the correct terminology too. Though I will say that even standard time is government-regulated. 😀 I personally wish we’d just stay DST year-round. We already do it for eight months of the year, why not all? Heh.

As for the election, I’m afraid I don’t feel the same hope. Probably because I’m in TX and things either stayed the same or got worse here. I figured they would, but we tried and failed to make significant changes. I WAS happy to see Scott Walker was ousted!! But I do wish the Dems had taken over both senate and house. The fact that we lost seats – specifically seats held by people who voted against Kavanaugh – was really depressing.

• Bryan G. Robinson
      November 12, 2018 | 9:08 AM

At least with a split Congress, he’s held back…even if slightly. Personally I’ll take it. Slowly chipping away is better than no chipping away. Admittedly I want a whole block to be cut off and discarded.

November 13, 2018 | 3:04 PM

Exactly. It shows that the postcards and phone calls and rallies were not in vain. Plus, the House is the one to initiate impeachment proceedings. Now that they are a Dem majority, I am hoping we can finally make some inroads into prosecuting that jackass.

November 13, 2018 | 3:02 PM

The fact that Dems lost ground in the Senate was not a surprise. Most of the seats that were up for grabs were Dem seats after all, and the chances of Dems keeping them all were slim to none. So I guess that never bothered me as much as Cheeto Hitler’s reaction to the shift in Congress. And yes, Walker finally being ousted was one of the reasons why I felt hope. If we can get that jackwagon out of office after eight years of ruining the state, then we can do anything!

2. Bryan G. Robinson
    November 12, 2018 | 9:10 AM

As busy as you are, Michelle, should we be saying, “See you next year.” 😉 I hope not, of course, because I need to hear your defiant but firm voice in the waning of this year.

November 13, 2018 | 3:05 PM

If I let my schedule get me down, I would be silent for the next two years – until Holly gets her license and I no longer have to play chauffeur. I can’t do that! I like writing out my thoughts too much!

November 13, 2018 | 8:07 AM

I hope you had a good weekend. Your day with Holly sounds fun. I know we always get snow this time of year, and though I’m not thrilled about it, maybe it would put me in the holiday spirit. We had a light dusting the other day, but not enough to cover or stick around.

November 13, 2018 | 3:05 PM

We did have a good weekend. I hope this coming weekend is just as pleasant!

4. Ti Reed
    November 13, 2018 | 12:13 PM

I am not in a part of California that is currently burning but so many I know have been affected and the winds are just so horrible and will not stop.

I had a rough weekend dealing with teen attitude and it has made me question my entire parenting style.

November 13, 2018 | 3:12 PM

I feel like some part of California is always burning these days, and it is all tragic.

I’m sorry about the teen attitude. That was us with Connor. It actually still is. As cruel as it felt, we consoled ourselves with counting down until he left for college. Now, we count down until he is fully on his own. Maybe then we can work on repairing the damage his attitude caused within the family.