People are forever asking how I manage everything with such a busy schedule. I love to cook, but I don’t always have time to do so in the manner I would like. This weekly journal is a way to keep it real and show that while my intentions are good, sometimes life and all of its activities get in the way of serving a delicious, home-cooked meal and that it is perfectly okay.
- Saturday: It was too damn hot and humid to cook tonight. Neither were Holly and I interested in going out to eat for the same reason. Instead, we convinced Jim to stay home with us and make do with the last of the leftovers from the week, and I feel no shame in that.
- Sunday: It was still too hot to cook anything, but since it was Father’s Day we did put forth an effort. Connor made a breakfast casserole and cinnamon rolls for breakfast. Later, he grilled some steaks while Holly made the White Cheddar Truffle Mac and Cheese that we have made so often. I was going to make his favorite carrot cake, but the oven took forever to cool down after breakfast so the thought of turning it back on to bake a cake was a little nauseating. Instead, we had plenty of ice cream in the freezer and got him a French Silk Pie from the store. Easy peasy.
- Monday: Jim was on a brief business trip and Holly convinced me to let her stay over at a friend’s house, so it was just Connor and me for dinner. Thankfully, he is very easy to please and sat down with leftovers before I had a chance to direct him to them; in fact, he didn’t want anything but leftovers. I love that the kids are so laid back and self-sufficient when it comes to meal times. It makes evenings so much easier these days.
- Tuesday: It was supposed to be Cletus’ last obedience training class, so I pulled out everything still sitting in the fridge waiting to be eaten and let everyone pick what they wanted. As with yesterday, there were no complaints. It turns out that class was cancelled, so I could have cooked something. I guess I am cooking tomorrow.
- Wednesday: It was more than time for something different tonight, so I made chicken fajitas for the boys and black beans and sofritos for Holly. Lots of going back for seconds and very few leftovers indicates that this was a good choice all around.
- Thursday: More leftovers tonight after a bit of a snafu regarding the homemade pizza I had planned to make tonight. I can safely say I think that is the last of the leftovers.
- Friday: The boys were at a work function tonight (how weird is that to say), so it was just Holly and me. Holly wanted nothing more than sandwiches, so we had sandwiches. I like that my girl is easy to please.
What was for dinner at your house this week?