People are forever asking how I manage everything with such a busy schedule. I love to cook, but I don’t always have time to do so in the manner I would like. This weekly journal is a way to keep it real and show that while my intentions are good, sometimes life and all of its activities get in the way of serving a delicious, home-cooked meal and that it is perfectly okay.
- Saturday: Connor’s first night home, but he was not interested in either going out or eating anything terribly difficult to make. He would have been happy with a sandwich, but Jim had purchased some frozen meal prep things while we were gone. So, we pulled out one of those and had sweet and sour chicken for dinner while Holly spent the evening with friends. It was a nice, quiet evening catching up with our boy with food that wasn’t too bad.
- Sunday: Holly and I will be at a dance competition for St. Patrick’s Day, so I opted to have our Irish meal tonight instead of later in the week. Instead of my usual shepherd’s pie, I went with steak and Guinness pie, Dubliner tart, and a Bailey’s pie for dessert. People say Irish food is horrible, but they have never tasted that steak pie.
- Monday: With Holly gone, I went a little different tonight with Greek Turkey Burgers with Tzatziki Sauce. The meat itself was fabulous. Putting it on a bun was overkill in a big way. Were I to make this again, I would rather make this as a meatloaf or bunless burgers. They don’t even need the tzatziki sauce.
- Tuesday: Connor went to go visit his friends at high school and listen to the high school band concert. I got home late after having to pick up my new car at a dealership 60 miles away from home. Given that, it was leftover night at the house.
- Wednesday: Connor came home craving Chicken Cordon Bleu of all things, so tonight was the night I served them. I have never made Chicken Cordon Bleu in my life, so I’m not certain where he came to this craving. Thank goodness our grocery story has a fantastic deli that sells such things and that they are tasty.
- Thursday: The only other thing Connor asked me to make this week was my macaroni and cheese. Since this was our last night together before he leaves again, I could not let him leave without fulfilling his wish. Homemade macaroni and cheese it was!
- Friday: Holly and I headed out of town for another dance competition, and Connor went to spend the night with friends. Jim was left home alone with leftovers, while Holly and I hit Chipotle on our way to the hotel after dance classes. It is not ideal but at least I did not have to clean any dishes.
What was for dinner at your house this week?