Sunday Reflections – 5 November 2017

Sunday Reflections Button

Happy Sunday!

It seems our weather shifted from beautiful autumnal weather to that dreary, damp, dark weather that tends to be our winters here in southern Wisconsin. This is the type of weather that saps my energy and makes me want to hibernate. I am hoping the sun decides to make an appearance one of these days. Until then, I’ll manage with cozy blankets, fuzzy socks, candles, and warm sweaters.

GRATEFUL FOR: I love that we live in a world where there is such a thing as ordering online and picking up your order. I am especially grateful for the fact that this service now extends to one grocery store in our area. I tried it for the first time this week. Other than some miscalculations I made on sizes and order quantities, I am sold. I detest grocery shopping, so giving someone my list, having them grab everything, package it, and put it in my car for me is heaven. Plus, any order over $100 is free of charge. If you have this service in your area, I highly recommend it!

ENJOYED: We finished season two of “Stranger Things” last night, something we all enjoyed watching. I had a few issues with certain scenes but thought the season was fantastic. They definitely upped the ante in horror and gore. Some of it was a bit too intense for Holly, but she powered through it squeezed between Jim and me with the dog on her lap for comfort. The ending shot is perfection, and we all groaned with the knowledge that we are going to have to wait another year to find out what it means!

LOOKING FORWARD TO: With Jim’s birthday today comes his annual birthday cake. His grandmother’s recipe for carrot cake is hands-down the best version I have ever tasted, and we all look forward to taking that first bite. Its cinnamon-y goodness is perfect for fall weather. Combine it with a tall glass of cold milk, and it is perfection.

**********

Here are past posts from the few last weeks in case you missed them the first time:

12 Responses to Sunday Reflections – 5 November 2017
  1. Bryan G. Robinson
    November 5, 2017 | 11:58 AM

I guess I don’t remember the gore, but definitely the horror. I saw one critic say the first season was Steven Spielberg and the second, Stephen King. I think that’s about right.

November 7, 2017 | 2:05 PM

They focused on the details of the demodogs’ eating habits a little too much for my taste, especially for a certain characters. That scene still makes me angry. I don’t need to see that a whole pack of them were eating him. I know he is dead and my heart is breaking. Let him die with dignity!

Totally agree about the difference between the two seasons. I think I almost preferred the Steven Spielberg version though. The second season is intense and not necessarily in a fun way.

2. Lisa
    November 5, 2017 | 2:22 PM

We just started Stranger Things this weekend. I had to stay up extra late after three episodes – I can’t imagine what i’ll be like when I get to season 2 if they’ve up’d the horror and gore! Holly must have a much higher tolerance for that kind of thing if she only just now needed to be shielded!

November 7, 2017 | 2:06 PM

It takes a lot to rattle her, so I wasn’t surprised that she was okay with the first season. I also wasn’t surprised that she was uncomfortable with the second season. I was uncomfortable with certain scenes in this recent season, so I know she was struggling. But she hung in there and made it through and can’t wait for the next season already!

3. Jenny @ Reading the End
    November 5, 2017 | 2:49 PM

Ooh, I am not a huge carrot cake fan as a rule, but goddamn, when a carrot cake is really good, it is DAMN good. Yours sounds delish! Happy Sunday!

November 7, 2017 | 2:07 PM

I have become SO picky about carrot cake now that I have been making this recipe for so long. In fact, I won’t even try it at most places because I know it is going to be a disappointment.

November 5, 2017 | 7:44 PM

Our local grocery store has one of those pickup things too but I never considered it because I figured it was expensive. I just looked after reading your post, though, and found out it’s only $5. Nice! I don’t mind shopping so much – especially if I go on a Wednesday or Thursday morning – but it would certainly help if I don’t have time until the weekend and just need to get it done quick.

November 7, 2017 | 2:54 PM

Definitely look into it. I was so impressed by how easy it was. I was even able to peruse all of the sale items in the store as well. Since I tend to do my shopping on the weekends, this very well may be a life-saver IMO.

November 6, 2017 | 9:55 AM

I detest grocery shopping, too. I need to find one that will deliver! That would make my life!!
    This weather is making me super sleepy today. I can’t wake up.

November 7, 2017 | 2:59 PM

This grocery thing doesn’t deliver, but I just pulled up, gave them my name, and they brought everything out and put it into my trunk. Easy as 1-2-3. Plus, it was raining, and I didn’t have to get out of my car. I already told Jim that should they start delivering, I am all over that like white on rice. The more I can avoid humanity in stores, the better it is for everyone.

6. Girl with her Head in a Book