It’s Monday! What Are You Reading? – 13 November 2017

Sleepless nights aren’t usually a good thing but they do allow me to read more than I normally do.

Haunting the Deep by Adriana Mather The Rules of Magic by Alice Hoffman Never Coming Back by Alison McGhee

The latest novel by Adriana Mather is another fun story with a fascinating connection to Ms. Mather’s ancestry. There is nothing remotely serious about the story, but it is still a blast to read. Ghosts, witches, magic, Salem, and the Titanic. What’s not to like?

Alice Hoffman’s newest novel was a bit of a disappointment. It has her hallmark writing style and beautiful prose, but the story was a bit dry for my taste. I didn’t connect with the characters as much as I wanted. I had plans to read Practical Magic after finishing this, but I think I am going to stick with the movie version. I like the characters in the movie much better.

The Alison McGhee novel is a beautiful novel about dealing with Alzheimer’s and the realization that we never really know our parents. Not the lightest of reads, but it helped me understand what my husband was feeling when he was losing his father.

DID NOT FINISH:

Still going strong.

A Secret History of Witches by Louisa Morgan

The Exorcist by William Peter Blatty

Less than three hours left and I’m still not finding it very scary. I wonder what is wrong with me.

NEXT UP:

Gather the Daughters by Jennie Melamed

9 Responses to It’s Monday! What Are You Reading? – 13 November 2017
    November 13, 2017 | 6:37 AM

Oooh – sad to hear you didn’t like Rules of Magic. I chose it as my BOTM pick, but haven’t read it yet. Was planning to in the next month or so.

Have also heard good things about Gather the Daughters.

November 13, 2017 | 1:38 PM

I wish I liked it more than I did. I have loved some of Hoffman’s other novels and know she can write a beautiful story. This one reminds me of how I felt about The Museum of Extraordinary Things. I liked it but was glad when I was done.

November 13, 2017 | 8:04 AM

It takes a lot to scare me anymore. I really haven’t been able to find a book or movie that scares the crap out of me. And I love being scared. What is the scariest book you’ve ever read?

November 13, 2017 | 1:43 PM

The book that gave me the most problems was Heart-Shaped Box by Joe Hill. It was one of the first horror novels I have ever read though, so I don’t know if I would be scared now. The most disturbing book I have ever read remains American Psycho which is terrifying in a whole other way.

3. Julie
    November 13, 2017 | 10:54 AM

Sorry you were disappointed in the new Hoffman.

November 13, 2017 | 1:46 PM

Her books tend to be hit-or-miss with me, and I don’t know many people who favor the book version of Practical Magic over the movie version. I can now see why. The characters are not the same.

4. Patty
    November 13, 2017 | 2:23 PM

I started and then put down Witches…I think I need to pick it up again!

November 13, 2017 | 2:31 PM

It’s a bit cheesy but a lot of fun so far!

5. […] It’s Monday! What Are You Reading? – 13 November 2017 […]