It’s Monday! What Are You Reading? – 25 September 2017

It was a much better reading week. I found myself reading more in public places because scrolling social media and seeing the headlines this past week was more than I could handle. So, bad news and an insane president make for more time for reading. Who knew?

The End of the World Running Club by Adrian Walker Notorious RBG by Irin Carmon and Shana Knizhnik The Clockwork Dynasty by Daniel H. Wilson Ringer by Lauren Oliver

I was not certain what to expect from this post-apocalyptic novel. The title would indicate that it would be tongue-in-cheek. It is not. In fact, it is quite serious in its examination of mental fortitude, society’s ills, ennui, responsibilities, and survival all while our anti-hero races against the clock to reunite with his family. I was captivated, so much so that I stayed up until 2 AM on a work night to finish it.

I regret not learning more about RBG earlier in my life. She seems like such an amazing woman. Granted, her work schedule is more than I would ever want to do, I appreciate her commitment, her wit, her compassion, and her fight. She is my hero.

Daniel H. Wilson’s newest novel starts out slow, but when it picks up, it picks. up. Holy cow. What a strange and wonderful story about ancient robots who walk among us.

The conclusion of Lauren Oliver’s unique duology is every bit as impressive and engaging as the first novel. In fact, now that I knew what to expect with how the book was structured, I think I enjoyed this one more than the first.

DID NOT FINISH:

This Darkness Mine by Mindy McGinnis

I can read a lot of strange things; odd plots never bother me. The plot for this new novel by Mindy McGinnis probably would not have bothered me were it not for a few things. First, Sasha Stone is one of the more unpleasant narrators. She is self-righteous and stuck up. A veritable mean girl without the posse, the fashion sense, and the popularity. She is one step below an automaton in her emotions. So when her world starts spinning out of control because of a dead twin sister she reabsorbed into her body in utero, I could care less. The spark of emotion actually made her more likable. Then there is her clarinet playing. I am here to tell you that you cannot get splinters in your mouth from practicing the clarinet too often. The reeds are not made out that type of wood. I played for nine years, often for hours at a time, as did my friends, and they never got splinters. I have friends who play professionally who have never gotten splinters. That Ms. McGinnis even included this in her novel bothers me so much that I have no desire to read the rest of the novel. There were other things I found with the plot, like the dead sister speaking to Sasha through homework assignments, having cognizant thoughts and feelings, and the like. Between Sasha, the whole twin plot, and the wood splinter claim, it was more than even I could handle.

The Waking Land by Callie Bates

This cover!

Get Well Soon by Jennifer Wright

Whoever recommended this audiobook to me, I want to hug and kiss you. Entertaining, hilarious, and educational, this book is so my thing. I want to binge-listen all day long.

NEXT UP:

The Glass Spare by Lauren DeStefano

11 Responses to It’s Monday! What Are You Reading? – 25 September 2017
    September 25, 2017 | 6:27 AM

I’ve been curious about End of the World Running Club…going to see if my library has it after reading your thoughts.

September 25, 2017 | 8:40 AM

I will be curious to see what you think of it!

September 25, 2017 | 7:11 AM

I have heard that the new McGinnis book is odd and not worth reading – now I’ll especially stay away from it.

This weekends antics from the president had me seeing red. And then all of my conservative friends making their stupid, close-minded and ignorant comments made me see red even more. I ended up trying to stay off social media yesterday because I was so pissed off.

September 25, 2017 | 9:02 AM

Awful. The clarinet thing REALLY bothered me. I mean, if you can’t get that fact correct, how careful were you about other things? The story itself though – sheesh. Seriously, the dead twin has feelings and needs! I am so glad I stopped reading it.

I tried to stay off social media yesterday, but I was curious what others were saying about the teams’ protests. It all seemed rather anticlimactic to me, especially since the reason for the protests seems to have been lost by the media and our president. I am so tired of the constant state of fight or flight we seem to be in these days. This is not normal or healthy on so many levels.

3. Jenny @ Reading the End
    September 25, 2017 | 9:14 AM

I’m cracking up over the clarinet thing. This is why I love book bloggers! I would never have known that was wrong, because I was never a musician, but now I know that it’s egregiously, idiotically wrong. Because yeah — if the author can’t get something that basic right, what else are they getting wrong that I don’t know about?

September 25, 2017 | 9:35 AM

Exactly! Plus the story itself was stupid, stupid, stupid.

September 25, 2017 | 12:12 PM

Ooooh I have to look up Get Well Soon now. I haven’t heard of that I don’t think. Still reading Godsgrave – SO GOOD!

September 26, 2017 | 11:56 AM

Oh, you are going to love it! It is wacky, weird, and informative. Plus the narrator is so good!

5. susan
    September 25, 2017 | 6:38 PM

The end of the world running club — what an interesting title. I haven’t heard about that one yet. I’ll look for your review of it. Is it still hot there? I’ll send our cool weather your way — right now we’re back to seasonable – but last couple of weeks the day started in the 30s & 40s. Ouch. but now at least by afternoon it’s in the 60s. Should be a nice week.

September 26, 2017 | 11:58 AM

Still hot but it should be dropping today and remaining seasonable. I get Indian summers. I did not understand actual summer coming in September.

6. […] It’s Monday! What Are You Reading? – 25 September 2017 […]