It’s Monday! What Are You Reading? – 5 June 2017

I made it through hell week and have one more week to go before the party and graduation. The end is in sight!

Beartown by Frederik Backman The Prey of Gods by Nicky Drayden

Fredrik Backman’s latest novel is one of the best books I have ever read. I was blown away by his writing style, but the story! Oh, the story! It broke my heart over and over again as it explores everything from parenting to team fanaticism and beyond. Expect to see this one a lot during awards season next year.

Nicky Drayden’s debut novel is quirky and fun and reminiscent of American Gods with its spin on demigoddesses and robots, faith versus fact. Added to that is the epitome of diversity and it makes for an entertaining read.

Too Fat, Too Slutty, Too Loud by Anne Helen Petersen

End of Watch by Stephen King

NEXT UP:

House of Names by Colm Tóibín

16 Responses to It’s Monday! What Are You Reading? – 5 June 2017
    June 5, 2017 | 6:47 AM

Feeling similarly about Beartown!

June 7, 2017 | 4:13 PM

I keep trying to sit down and write a formal review but just can’t seem to find the words. I’ll try again tomorrow.

2. Heather
    June 5, 2017 | 9:00 AM

Bear Town was so good!! I was almost sad to finish it because I didn’t want to leave the characters.

I listened to House of Names last month and loved it. I hope you do too!

June 7, 2017 | 4:14 PM

After having been reading the same book for a week, I am looking forward to moving on to Toibin!

June 5, 2017 | 10:38 AM

So you loved Bear Town? I have it but I’ve been putting it off. Although I thought Ove was enjoyable I don’t really get all the hype it received.

I know you have a little more craziness to go before you can relax so I hope it all goes well. I am a little anxious today. No reason for it really. Production week is coming up but it’s not really a big deal when she doesn’t have a lead. I guess it will depend on how many shows I am working and which shows at that. They have this new rule that I can’t work a show my daughter is in so I have to work the other cast’s show. This doesn’t always work out so great.

June 7, 2017 | 4:15 PM

I’ve heard from several people who were not fans of Ove that they loved Beartown. Honestly, it really is one of the best books I have read. I wanted to highlight almost every page, and it takes a lot for me to want to stop reading and savor sentences. I just don’t do it.

I hope you get to work the shows you want to watch!

June 5, 2017 | 11:41 AM

Ok, I have to read Bear Town asap!

5. Anita
    June 5, 2017 | 1:19 PM

ok ok, second rave about BearTown today, Candace said the audio was good, so I may give it a listen. I love Colm Tòibín, look forward to your review.
    Have a wonderful week.

June 7, 2017 | 4:16 PM

Read it! Or listen to it! Just do it!

6. Jenny @ Reading the End
    June 5, 2017 | 7:25 PM

Gahhhhhh I am dying of can’t-wait for the Anne Helen Peterson book. She’s such a brilliant writer.

June 7, 2017 | 4:17 PM

OMG!! I am LOVING the Peterson book. Seriously love it. Every word. Every sentence. I will definitely be buying multiple copies of this one and putting it into my friends’ hands. It is going to be one of those books I recommend to everyone.

June 5, 2017 | 11:20 PM

You’re killing me. I just learned about the Prey of Gods today and now you’re pulling an American Gods reference about it?! Between that and my need for BearTown… Poop on school tuition and baby related expenses and I just want to buy all the books instead!!

June 7, 2017 | 4:17 PM

LOL! Sorry! I understand completely though. When books are necessities, it makes it difficult to prioritize.

8. Andi
    June 7, 2017 | 5:25 PM

I’m reading my first Backman now, and WHOA! He’s killing me with tears in such a good way.

June 8, 2017 | 1:36 PM

Which one are you reading? There seems to be mixed feelings about Ove, but if you are reading Beartown, you are in for a treat!