It’s Monday! What Are You Reading? – 20 March 2017

Dance, dance, and more dance. That was my weekend so no reading for me. Last week I was struggling with adjusting to Daylight Savings Time so early bedtimes to adjust to the early mornings also meant little reading. Boo.

The Wanderers by Meg Howrey Shrill by Lindy West

Meg Howrey’s novel was a complete surprise. The comparisons to Andy Weir and Emily St. John Mandel were intriguing enough to get me to read it, but the story is not really anything like either of theirs. Its introspection was not what I expected, but I loved every minute of it. There is one particular question I would love answered, but I suspect that is the exact point. I definitely need to spend more time thinking over the story just to absorb everything I read.

Lindy West is my hero. I confess to not being fully aware of her until she published this memoir of sorts, but I am aware of her now. I doubt there is a more honest and open woman who truly means what she says. I admire her courage, strength, and self-confidence.

Lola by Melissa Scrivner Love

I was leery about yet another thriller but when the publisher likens the main character to a combination of Lisbeth Salander and Walter White, how do you NOT read it?

Manners & Mutiny by Gail Carriger

I need something fun and breezy, and there is not much better than Gail Carriger for that!

UP NEXT:

The Fire Child by S. K. Tremayne

I loved the last Tremayne novel I read, so this was a no-brainer when it popped up as available.

10 Responses to It’s Monday! What Are You Reading? – 20 March 2017
    March 20, 2017 | 6:47 AM

I’m about 30% through The Wanderers thanks to you and am LOVING it! It’s definitely not The Martian or Station Eleven…is something all it’s own and the most unique thing I’ve read this year.

March 21, 2017 | 11:15 AM

Exactly! So difficult to describe, which is why I kept in the comparisons because it gives people an idea of what to expect. I am SO glad you are loving it though; I still get nervous when someone says they are going to read a book based on my recommendation!

March 20, 2017 | 6:47 AM

I need to try SK Tremayne. I hope you like the newest book. Have a great week!

March 21, 2017 | 11:16 AM

Oh, the new Tremayne is even better than the first one I read! I am so angry that I do not have more time to read right now otherwise I would have finished it in one sitting.

3. And
    March 20, 2017 | 4:48 PM

Damnit! I almost purchased SHRILL this weekend!

March 21, 2017 | 11:16 AM

Girl, how have you not read this one yet? It is so totally in your wheelhouse!

4. Jenny @ Reading the End
    March 20, 2017 | 6:32 PM

Lots of good books there! I’m finished up Peter Ho Davies’s The Fortunes and it’s not really my thing — if I’d known when I started that it was interconnected short stories, I probably wouldn’t have read it. TOO LATE NOW THOUGH. I am determined to finish it.

March 21, 2017 | 11:19 AM

I thought I was the only one who did not pay complete attention when selecting books. I hate when I fail to realize a book is a sequel or short stories. It makes me feel guilty requesting them when they could have gone to someone who has read the first book or enjoys short stories!

5. Kailana
    March 20, 2017 | 8:08 PM

I really enjoyed Lindy West’s memoir, too!

March 21, 2017 | 11:17 AM

I think I picked it up because you had such great things to say about it, so thank you!