It’s Monday! What Are You Reading? – 13 February 2017

Another not-great reading week. Damn work getting in the way of my reading time!
How was your week? Read anything good?

The Shimmering Road by Hester Young

This is a sequel, believe it or not, to Hester Young’s first novel. It dragged a bit, and I found the main character a bit more annoying this time around. However, the fact that the story occurs partly in Nogales, AZ & Mexico makes it timely indeed. Overall, it was a decent story even if it took me forever to finish it.

Lincoln in the Bardo by George Saunders

I cannot wait to get to this one; I sort of just want to lock myself in a room and devour all of its pages without interruption.

Shrill by Lindy West

So, I might not have actually started listening to this one just yet, but it is next on my listening queue. I promise!

UP NEXT:

Gilded Cage by Vic James

Magic. Evil rulers. There is nothing about this that does not appeal to me.

13 Responses to It’s Monday! What Are You Reading? – 13 February 2017
    February 13, 2017 | 6:59 AM

I hope this is a better reading week for you! Gilded Cage has my attention…

February 13, 2017 | 8:58 AM

Mine too. I should finish the Saunders tonight…

February 13, 2017 | 7:01 AM

I loved Gates of Evangeline, but I think part of what made me love it was the setting. Love me some Southern Goth! And when I heard the sequel was set in Arizona, etc I kind of lost interest.

Hope you love the Saunders!

February 13, 2017 | 9:00 AM

The setting isn’t terrible. I learned more than I probably wanted to know about border towns, but it is an important piece of knowledge. I just did not like the main character that much this time around. I am going to choose to believe it is because she is eight months pregnant in it and very much acts like a hormonally-imbalanced woman. The last book is set in Hawaii which should be interesting.

3. Kay
    February 13, 2017 | 8:17 AM

I’m planning on reading THE SHIMMERING ROAD soon. I did like the first book and thought it interesting that she took the story from Louisiana to Arizona. Talk about a climate change. I know that it will be a trilogy and wonder what’s next – mountains? seashore? New York City? LOL

February 13, 2017 | 9:01 AM

Actually, I read in an interview that the final book will be set in Hawaii. That is intriguing to me, as it is not a typical setting for a gothic mystery.

4. Jenny @ Reading the End
    February 13, 2017 | 6:12 PM

Do not forget to report back on Gilded Cage. That cover and your description words sound perfect.

5. Kailana
    February 13, 2017 | 8:58 PM

I am looking forward to your thoughts on Gilded Cage!

February 13, 2017 | 9:18 PM

I am looking forward to reading it!

6. susan
    February 14, 2017 | 5:10 PM

I need to read Hester Young’s first one. It seems it’s worth while. Also I look forward to what you think of the Bardo.

February 14, 2017 | 6:45 PM

Actually, you don’t need to read the first one. They are very much standalone novels about the same character. There are a few references to the first book but nothing that will cause you problems with this one.

7. […] It’s Monday! What Are You Reading? – 13 February 2017 […]