It’s Monday, April 29th! What Are You Reading?

Pinterest
Image: It's Monday! What Are You Reading? Button

Hosted by Sheila from Book Journey, this is a weekly event to share what we’ve read in the past week and what we hope to read, plus whatever else comes to mind.

Finished Last Week:

Book Cover Image: The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry by Rachel Joyce Book Cover Image: The Cuckoo's Calling by Robert Galbraith Book Cover Image: Call Me Zelda by Erika Robuck

Finished Most of It and Giving Up on the Rest:

Book Cover Image: Serving Victoria by Kate Hubbard

I tried. I really did. I made it to page 150 before I started to skim and to page 244 (out of 364) before I decided that this was not for me. Ms. Hubbard was too sympathetic towards Albert and had a decidedly anti-Victoria stance that I found rather disturbing. Her phrasing choices were odd, too enthusiastic in all the wrong ways. Also, she ended up inserting her own opinions, pretending to know exactly what Victoria was thinking or feeling at any given point in time. Between the weird descriptive phrases, her almost misogynistic approach towards Victoria, and her omniscient knowledge of Queen Victoria’s mindset, it was just too much for me. Oh, and the book spent a LOT of time talk about how boring life as a lady in waiting or maid of honor was. In all, the subject matter was interesting, but there were too many idiosyncrasies that irritated me and put me to sleep.

Currently Reading:

Book Cover Image: The Inquisitor's Wife by Jeanne Kalogridis

Currently Listening:

Book Cover Image: Unholy Night by Seth Grahame-Smith

My brother recommended this one to me…and my brother does not read. If he gives something high praise, then I have to read/listen to it!

Up Next:

Book Cover Image: The Last Camellia by Sarah Jio Book Cover Image: The Girl with the Iron Touch by Kady Cross Book Cover Image: Gameboard of the Gods by Richelle Mead Book Cover Image: The Shining Girls by Lauren Beukes Book Cover Image: The Testing by Joelle Charbonneau Book Cover Image: The Silver Star by Jeannette Walls Book Cover Image: Astor Place Vintage by Stephanie Lehmann Book Cover Image: Instructions for a Heatwave by Maggie O'Farrell

What are you reading?

Share and Enjoy

• Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Pinterest
  • Google Plus
  • Tumblr
  • StumbleUpon
  • Add to favorites
  • RSS
18 Responses to It’s Monday, April 29th! What Are You Reading?
  1. laurelrainsnow
    April 29, 2013 | 1:32 PM

I want to read the Zelda book….and I have several books coming that are on your list: The Last Camellia, The Silver Star, and Instructions for a Heatwave. Enjoy your week!

Here's MY MONDAY MEMES POST

2. Shan
    April 29, 2013 | 1:50 PM

I loved Harold Fry. I look forward to reading your review. Hope you have a great reading week!

3. @lovelybookshelf
    April 29, 2013 | 4:45 PM

Great list of upcoming reads!! I'm finishing up The House at the End of Hope Street today, I think… then moving on to The Liars' Gospel.

4. Jackie
    April 29, 2013 | 5:15 PM

That's too bad about Serving Victoria. Ahh Maggie O'Farrell a great secret treat!

5. therelentlessreader
    April 29, 2013 | 6:33 PM

Rats, so much for Serving Victoria. I'm not a fan of authors inserting their own opinions either. I hope your upcoming books are all winners!

Have a great week :)

6. Giraffe Days
    April 29, 2013 | 9:50 PM

I've had Harold Fry for the longest time now and still haven't got around to reading it. Did you enjoy it?

Some great books here! I liked the sound of The Testing and downloaded it from Netgalley too, before realising I couldn't put it on my Kindle, so I guess I'll have to wait till it's out. Happy reading!

7. TalesofWhimsy.com
    April 30, 2013 | 12:31 AM

Unholy Night? That's a review I'll be keeping my eyes peeled for. :)

8. Gabbi @ BookBreather
    April 30, 2013 | 12:44 AM

I'm curious about Gameboard of the Gods. I loooove Richelle Mead's YA work, bu I have yet to read anything she has written for adults. I hope you enjoy!

My Monday post!! :)
    ~ Gabbi

9. Tanya Patrice
    April 30, 2013 | 1:34 AM

As usual you have quite a few books on your reading list that I'm hoping to get to also – especially The Shining Girls.

10. Michelle
    May 13, 2013 | 1:53 AM

Call Me Zelda is fantastic. I enjoyed The Last Camellia too. I just started The Silver Star tonight. Hopefully it's a good one!

11. Michelle
    May 13, 2013 | 1:54 AM

Wasn't it great? It was just so much fun.

12. Michelle
    May 13, 2013 | 1:54 AM

I've heard nothing but amazingly awesome things about The House at the End of Hope Street. I definitely want to get to it some day!

13. Michelle
    May 13, 2013 | 1:59 AM

Yes, I am definitely disappointed by Serving Victoria. I can't wait to get to the Maggie O'Farrell. She is such a wonderful author.

14. Michelle
    May 13, 2013 | 2:01 AM

Thanks, Jennifer! I am really picky about my nonfiction, and this just made me fall asleep or pissed me off one too many times. Everything else I've read since then has been wonderful, so I'm glad I skimmed the rest.

15. Michelle
    May 13, 2013 | 2:01 AM

I LOVED Harold Fry. Definitely worthy reading/listening.

The Testing was really good. Thankfully, you don't have to wait too much longer!

16. Michelle
    May 13, 2013 | 2:02 AM

LOL! I can't remember when I have it scheduled to post. The end of the month, I think?

17. Michelle
    May 13, 2013 | 2:03 AM

Oh, I LOVED Gameboard of the Gods. It was SO good. I really need to get back to her YA series as well. She has the best world-building.

18. Michelle
    May 13, 2013 | 2:03 AM

The Shining Girls is fantastic. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!