In an effort to be a whole lot more organized this year, and because everyone is always posting what delicious food they make, here is what I have been serving my family for the past week. I also envision this being a detailed account of how I fail miserably at meal planning when life gets too busy. But hey, it’s real life. Speaking of real life, I am not and never will be a food blogger. If I ever were to post food pictures for you, I apologize in advance for how awful they are.
- Saturday: Today was read-a-thon day, so I was perfectly happy snacking all day long. However, Jim and I had plans to meet friends for dinner. When they expressed a desire to stay home and just hang out, we said hell yeah and had them come over for a embarrassingly simple meal of brats and steaks on the grill.
- Sunday: Sunday was one of those days where we all ended up puttering around the house. Jim was busy with the outside. Connor and I were doing odd jobs inside the house. Holly had dance. So when it came time for dinner, none of us were interested in anything elaborate. I threw out the suggestion of grilling the leftover brats and hot dogs we never got around to grilling the night before and heard no one complain. So, that is two embarrassingly easy, almost child-like meals in a row. I really need to start cooking again.
- Monday: I stayed within the theme of easy tonight but what we made involved actual cooking. I have been eyeballing this Taco Salad recipe forever and finally could not wait any longer. It was really good, however I would totally cut back on the amount of tomato and onion. Oh, and the tortilla chips are a must. Without them, the texture is pretty nonexistent. Still, it was something everyone ate, and it came together very quickly.
- Tuesday: I made a lot of salad yesterday. More than should ever be made for one family. To be fair, I thought we would have another adult eating with us, but there was still so much taco salad. Looking on the bright side, at least dinner tonight was covered!
- Wednesday: I had dinner planned until I received a coupon for 50 percent off anything on the menu at one of my favorite pizza places. Pizza it is! And every bite was delicious.
- Thursday: Jim made this Broccoli and Cheese Chicken Quinoa Casserole for dinner tonight. I can’t say that I was terribly impressed, but everyone ate it without complaint. That’s something, right?
- Friday: It’s been a while since the entire family is scattered to the wind, yet here we are. Connor had a track meet. Jim was at home. Holly and I were on our way to another weekend dance competition. Fast food for the girls, and leftovers for the boys. It isn’t perfect but it works.
What was for dinner at your house this week?